Transforming your asset management and maintenance operations to a digital platform gives your team the ability to perform inspections on schedule and execute their tasks in the most effective manner possible. Equipping your workers with the ability to make decisions on the spot using ruggedized handhelds or the available off-the-shelf mobile devices, enables them to record details such as operations and maintenance procedures as well as operating history. This helps decrease unscheduled downtime, improve plant productivity, increasing safety and situational awareness, all while improving regulatory compliance.
There is a big connection between the old and new in maintenance. The fundamentals of many assets, like conveyor belts, haven’t changed in decades but, the ultimate goal of maintenance (to keep assets running so they can continue to produce) also hasn’t changed. However, assets now provide a lot more data than before, which is changing the way they are maintained. So while the core concept of maintenance might not have changed in any huge ways, the tools have, and whether you’ve been in the process of digital transformation or just thinking it through, mobile solutions are providing benefits to businesses more and more.
Digital technology, especially mobile, presents immediate advantages that help discover inefficiencies and keep maintenance costs low, such as:
- Controlling the schedule: By scheduling and communicating your preventive and predictive maintenance processes, less money will be spent on reactive repairs. The use of technology allows for greater visibility of problems and tasks to be performed, making backlogs difficult to ignore and also reducing the number of unresolved work orders.
- Troubleshooting efficiently: Repairing or replacing an asset without knowledge about the equipment in question can be detrimental to the health of your assets and shorten their all-around life-cycle. A digital platform allows the maintenance team to analyze detailed data and discover which assets need to be repaired as well as when it is most cost-effective to invest in new equipment.
- Predictive maintenance: The digital transformation allows companies to design maintenance processes in a much more efficient way. As operator rounds are completed more and more information can be gathered and communicated immediately to anyone on the team who has access to it.
- Reduction of energy consumption: Digital technology improves maintenance efficiencies in both processes and equipment. A mobile solution keeps an asset in premier condition while limiting its impact on the environment by increased communication and the ability to execute tasks on schedule.
- Remote work: Some of your maintenance might consist of carrying out operations in remote locations, in which the service personnel on-site can send all the relevant information through the centralized database, speeding up the solution of problems and reducing overspending.
It has become clear that mobilizing first-line workers is the fastest way to digital transformation. Beyond the more obvious advantages of using mobile technology, it’s important to remember that digital transformation is a process of change involving the whole company and allows the entire workforce to be integrated into the company’s overall strategy. Determining how utilizing mobile technology for your asset management will help you reach your business goals and formulating a practical approach will be the first step in the digital transformation process. But once you’ve identified the gaps and how the benefits can truly transform your business then it’s time to make the change.